Mandate of the Ministry of Environment and Energy
Ministry of Environment and Energy was decreed by the President of Maldives through the powers vested in the Constitution of Maldives. Stated below are the associated responsibilities of the Ministry.
1. Formulate policies, regulations and standards needed for the implementation of legislation related to environment, climate change, energy, water, sanitation, sewerage, and meteorology.
2. Protect the environment of the Maldives, and develop strategic action plans, action plans to promote the sustainable development and implementation of all aspects of energy, water and sewerage, and meteorology.
3. Develop concepts of projects related to the environment, climate change, energy, water, sewerage and meteorology; and acquire funds to the projects through collaboration with the related institutions; plan and manage all aspects of those projects. Establish a mechanism to maintain and provide service by allocating personnel and make arrangements to provide the service through the completed mechanism.
4. Develop monitoring guidelines and regulate projects related to environment, climate change, energy, water, sewerage and meteorology and infrastructure.
5. Manage and oversee all the components of projects exclusive of civil works. Establish a mechanism to maintain and provide service by allocating personnel and make arrangements to provide the service through the completed mechanism.
6. Carry out the following activities related to the environment, energy, water and sanitation, sewerage and meteorology:
i. Carry out the obligations of International treaties and activities related to organizations that the Maldives is party to.
ii. Develop human resources at National level.
iii. Perform the administrative functions of the Environmental Protection Council.
iv. Take initiative in planning and implementing awareness programmes at national and international level.
v. Introduce means of acquiring “innovative finance” to the Maldives.
vi. Enhance the role of the private sector, and provide resources and facilitate to them to the extent possible.
vii. Perform the administrative functions of the Advisory Committee on Energy.
7. Endeavour to make the natural environment the foundation of the national development.
8. Advocate and manage other activities related to the mitigation of the effects of climate change to the Maldives and other small island developing states, at regional and international level.
9. Develop projects to mitigate climate change, and to acquire financial assistance for this purpose from international agencies.
10. Coordinate projects conducted by relevant organizations to mitigate of climate change, and provide required assistance.
11. Formulate a sustainable development strategy to protect the environment, and execute all activities related to this strategy, plan and conduct activities proposed by the UN and other international NGOs in conjunction with relevant organizations.
12. Implement the Law number 77/78 (the law of unearthing/mining stone, rock, coral, sand from inhabited islands).
13. Advise the government and civic society on the technical and economic decisions in managing the energy sector, and producing, delivering and usage of energy.
14. Introduce, plan and manage renewable energy mechanisms to the Maldives.
15. Formulate guidelines, regulations and standards on the production, use, import, export and sale of water in the Maldives.
16. Conducting research into the available resources of water for daily life and for other purposes, and take necessary steps to introduce such resources nationally, as well as to develop and manage such resources in a sustainable manner.
17. Plan and implement activities to ensure protection and sustainable use of the water lens of the islands of Maldives.
18. Ensure the water security of the citizens of Maldives; design and implement all the components of water systems, storage facilities, and desalination plants.
19. Facilitate sanitation and waste water mechanisms; design and manage environment friendly sewerage systems in inhabited islands.
20. Plan and manage water and sanitation mechanisms; and provide technical and economic advice to the associated government authorities and the public.
21. Plan and implement policies, plan and implement a strategic plan which require to develop a competitive environment needed to extend the water and sanitation services in an affordable and convenient manner benefiting the recipients.
22. Ensure appropriate solid waste management mechanisms, and formulate the required laws and regulations.
23. Establish comprehensive facilities to dispose solid waste in throughout the Maldives; and provide assistance to the local councils in establishing a viable solid waste management system at island levels.
24. Develop and implement strategic plans to conserve the biodiversity, declare protected areas, and ensuring equal benefit of biodiversity resources.
25. The following institutions will operate under the Ministry of Environment and Energy
i. Maldives Meteorological Service
ii. Environmental Protection Agency
iii. Maldives Energy Authority
iv. Biosphere Reserve of Maalhos Madulu Dhekunuburi (Baa Atoll)
Mandate of the Maldives Meteorological Service
1. Plan, administer and develop activities related to meteorology in the Maldives.
2. Maintaining the data on climate required for economically and socially sustainable development, maintaining such a knowledgebase, and disseminating this information to those who require it.
3. Collating, maintaining and disseminating scientific information on meteorology.
4. Research and provide access to warnings on the weather and natural hazards such as tsunamis.
5. Predict the damage caused by natural hazards or other hazards that have occurred or may occur, collecting and disseminate data on such events, and taking precautionary steps in conjunction with relevant organizations.
6. Record and maintain seismological data for the Maldives.
Mandate of the Environmental Protection Agency
The Environmental Protection Agency is an independent regulatory organization affiliated to the Ministry of Environment and Energy, and operates under the guidance of a governing board. The mandate of this agency is as follows.
1. Declare, and manage protected areas and species in accordance with the provisions of the Environment Law.
2. Formulate guidelines and standards of the Environmental Impact Assessment that is required before the implementation of any project that may have an impact on the environment of the Maldives.
3. Implement of the Maldives Environment Law.
4. Conduct conservation processes deemed necessary based on data gathered regarding the erosion of islands due to natural or human activity, and provide technical assistance.
5. Formulate and implement guidelines and standards for environmentally safe procedures for waste management, and monitor to ensure that these guidelines and standards are met by those operating waste management.
6. Introduce and manage a system of valuation of the environment in order to compensate any loss to the environment.
7. Implement the regulations set by the Ministry for the protection of the island environment, and monitor adherence to the regulations and legislation developed for the protection of the environment by government and private parties, and provide advice to relevant government organizations on these issues.
8. Issue licenses for water and sanitation services, and the management of solid waste and sewerage, and ensure that parties issued such licenses comply with the terms of these licenses.
9. Formulate guidelines, regulations and standards for the management of solid waste and sewerage, and ensuring that providers of water services follow these standards.
10. Formulate standards for fee-charging by private providers of water services and providers of solid waste and sewerage disposal or destruction, issue permits for such charges, evaluate the submissions of the users of such services, and take action to protect the interests of both sides.
11. Carrying out scientific research and experiments, developing a knowledge base in this area, and disseminating this data to those who require it.
12. Research changes to the island beaches and the causes of beach erosion, and providing advice to solve these issues.
13. Obtain data on the formation and changes to the islands of the Maldives through the use of satellite imagery and aerial photography, obtain data needed for the geographic information systems, and provide for the dissemination of this data.
14. Identify the impacts of land reclamation, harbour development and reef blasting, research methodologies in an environment-friendly manner, and provide the data and experience gained to relevant organizations.
15. Conduct research and experiments on the environmental pollution in the Maldives, and provide data and technical instruction and advice.
16. Conduct research on the taxonomy and biodiversity living organisms, and provide data and share the experiences with relevant organizations.
17. Conduct research and experiments regarding environmentally friendly biotechnology and biosafety, and provide data and technical advice.
18. Conduct research and experiments regarding the implementation and monitor various projects on energy, develop a knowledge base in this area and disseminate this data to those who require it.
19. Develop, administer and implement the matters of the physical oceanography of Maldives.
20. Monitor the gases, smoke and particulates in the atmosphere, gather and monitor data on these issues, and make it available to required authorities.
21. Conduct scientific research into the available sources of potable water in the Maldives, monitor such data, and make it available to required authorities.
22. Conduct research to identify natural sources of energy in the Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) of the Maldives.
23. Accumulate the environmental data required for the planning of development projects, develop a knowledge base in this area, and disseminate this data to those who require it.
Mandate of the Maldives Energy Authority
The Maldives Energy Authority (MEA) is an independent regulatory organization affiliated to the Ministry of Environment and Energy, and operates under the guidance of a governing board. The mandate of this authority is as follows.
1. Provide advice to relevant government organizations regarding energy, and assisting in decision-making in this sector.
2. Set standards and implement the regulations for the administration and monitoring of this sector according to government policy on energy.
3. Develop the regulatory code and standards on the production and use of energy and develop and administer the regulations for the provision of energy in the Maldives.
4. Set the standards for the sources of energy that are imported or sold in the Maldives.
5. Issue permits to parties that wish to provide electricity services, set up the system of fees for the services provided by such parties, issue permits to parties that wish to produce electricity for their own use, and monitor such parties to ensure adherence to relevant regulations.
6. Issue permits to electric technicians and set requirements and standards for consultants.
7. Investigate disputes between parties arising from non-compliance to the terms of agreements between providers and users of electricity.
8. Monitor statistics on the production and usage of energy in the Maldives, maintain the energy requirements of the nation, gather data, research and disseminate information on this issue.
9. Manage and ensure the electrical utilities are in compliance with the Public Service Law of 4/96.
Biosphere Reserve of Maalhos Madulu Dhekunuburi (Baa Atoll)
1. Protect and manage the Biosphere Reserve of Maalhos Madulu Dhekunuburi by seeking cooperation of international and national organizations, including atoll level organizations.
2. Work to promote the Biosphere Reserve with the cooperation of the required authorities.
3. Enhance cooperation with international organizations, national organizations, including atoll level organization, atoll resorts and visitors to the biosphere reserve to pave the way to protect and manage the biosphere reserve.
4. Provide assistance with the collaboration of the Maalhos Madulu Dhekunuburee Conservation Fund to authorities in planning and managing projects to protect the biosphere reserve.
5. Gather and disseminate information with the necessary authorities on Maalhos Madulu Dhekunuburee biosphere reserve; reflect on researches conducted, and assist in any required research.
2 December 2013